A novel trust management system for peer-to-peer networks
Miroslav Novotný, Filip Zavoral
BubbleTrust is a novel trust management system which use some new approaches.The basic idea behind the BubbleTrust is the separation of a node role into that of a resource provider and of a transaction evaluator. The peer is evaluated for both roles separately, hence the system is able to distinguish peers that provide honest resources but do not participate correctly in the TM. Members of malicious collectives often use this tactic. One part of the collective provides honest service and tries to improve the reputation of the second part that spreads malicious resources. Using the BubbleTrust makes this tactic less effective.
The peer credibility is derived only from verified information about transactions between peers. The malicious peer cannot create fake transactions, hide information about their malicious transactions or alter information about other peers transactions.
Where to get it
We created a simulation framework which facilitates comparison of different TMSs and their behavior under different malicious strategies. We used FreePastry, a modular, open-source implementation of the Pastry, P2P structured overlay network. Current source codes of the simulation framework are placed in the svn repository.
We implemented six TMSs into our simulation framework: DummyTrust, SimpleTrust, EigenTrust, PeerTrust, H-Trust, and BubbleTrust. Current source codes of all TMS implementations are placed in the svn repository.
Research group at the department:
Supporting research projects and grants:
GACR 201/09/0990, MSMT MSM0021620838
- Novotný M., Zavoral F.: Resistance Against Malicious Collectives in BubbleTrust, in PDCAT 2011 - 12th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing, Gwangju, Korea, IEEE Computer Society, ISBN: 978-0-7695-4564-6, pp. 56-61, 2011
- Novotný M., Zavoral F.: BubbleTrust: A Reliable Trust Management for Large P2P Networks, accepted for publication in Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Network Security & Applications, Chennai, Springer Verlag, pp. 81-95, 2010
- Novotný M., Zavoral F.: Matrix Model of Trust Management in P2P Networks, in 3rd International Conference on Research Challenges in Information Science, Fez, Morocco, IEEE Computer Society Press, ISBN: 978-1-4244-2864-9, pp. 519-528, 2009
- Novotný M., Zavoral F.: Towards Reliable Trust Management in Insecure P2P Environments, in 3rd International Symposium on Intelligent Distributed Computing, Aya Napa, Cyprus, Springer-Verlag, ISBN: 978-3-642-03213-4, ISSN: 1860-949X, pp. 283-288, October 2009
- Novotný M.: Problems in Reputationbased Methods in P2P Networks, in WDS'08 Proceedings of Contributed Papers: Part I - Mathematics and Computer Sciences , Matfyzpress, ISBN: 978-80-7378-065-4, pp. 235-239, June 2008
- Novotný M., Zavoral F.: Reputation Based Methods for Building Secure P2P Networks, in Proceedings of ICADIWT 2008 - First IEEE International Conference on the Applications of Digital Information and Web Technologies, Ostrava, Czech Republic, IEEE Computer Society, ISBN: 978-1-4244-2624-9, pp. 403-408, 2008