Welcome to NoSQL-Net 2014 - 1st International Workshop on NoSQL Databases and Linked Data Applications. The workshop will be held in conjunction with DEXA 2014 conference in Munich, Germany. It will be a one-day workshop scheduled during the main conference, i.e. September 1 - 5, 2014.
Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMSs) have been the predominant database systems over the last decades; they are established and mature systems with a declarative standard language SQL that offers complex operations (like joins) and their tabular data format is simple, strong, widely used and easy-to-understand. However, recent developments in distributed storage systems and large amount of data, so-called “Big Data”, have revealed some inherent weaknesses of the relational model.
Linked Data is nowadays a standard way to represent data on a wide range of topics. To support the Linked Open Data initiative, the European Commission has established the Open Data Portal where many datasets from EU institutions have been published as Linked Data. In the last few years NoSQL databases and Semantic Web technologies have matured enough, so that the Gartner, Inc., the world's leading information technology research and advisory company, has identified them as the top technology trends that will play key roles in modernizing information management in 2013 and beyond. Thus it is natural that a 'NoSQL Databases and Linked Data Technologies' workshop is organized in conjunction with the DEXA conference, one of the oldest conferences for intelligent information management.
The new research challenges, that will be also addressed in this workshop, are related to:
- the emerging methods and techniques leveraged in NoSQL databases
- the emerging pan-European data infrastructure that will enable interoperability, interlinking and reuse of data in public and also commercial services,
- the need for flexible adoption of the data representation (schema evolution) and agile software development,
- the need for enhanced security in the forthcoming business models (e-government, e-commerce)
- Jun 15, 2014 - workshop programme was specified
- May 23, 2014 - notification of acceptance/rejection
- May 17, 2014 - the deadlines for notification of acceptance and camera-ready versions were extended (see CfP)
- Apr 18, 2014 - paper review process started
- Apr 10, 2014 - paper submission deadline was extended to April 18, 2014
- Mar 25, 2014 - abstract submission deadline (please, still feel free to submit any new papers)
- Mar 5, 2014 - 2nd Call for Papers
- Feb 5, 2014 - 1st Call for Papers
- Feb 3, 2014 - PC was formed, submission system was opened
- Jan 16, 2014 - NoSQL-Net 2014 was advertised at DEXA web page, ConfDriver Conference Management System was opened for NoSQL-Net 2014 submissions
- Jan 15, 2014 - workshop web site was set up
Project number 01DS13026 "NoSQL-Net: Verwaltung von verknüpften Daten in NoSQL-Datenbanken unter Schemaevolution"